Norway Work Visa Application Process and types of Work Permits

Norway Work Visa Application Process and types of Work Permits

To live and work in Norway for longer than 90 days, you’ll need a residence permit, often referred to as a work visa. This permit allows you to reside and legally hold employment in the country.

 Statistics and analysis

Section for these reports:

Types of Work Visas

Norway offers various residence permits depending on your work situation:

  • Skilled Worker Visa: This is the most common type, requiring a job offer from a Norwegian employer and proof of relevant skills (education/experience).
  • Seasonal Worker Visa: This caters to temporary or seasonal work needs.
  • Self-Employed Visa: This applies to individuals who will be running their own business in Norway.
  • Intra-Company Transfer Visa: This is for employees transferring from a multinational company to a branch in Norway.

Work Permit vs. Residence Permit

In Norway, the terms “work permit” and “residence permit for work” are often used interchangeably. The residence permit grants you both the right to reside and hold employment.

Norway Work Visa Application Process

The application process involves these steps:

  1. Find an Employer: Securing a job offer with a Norwegian employer is the first crucial step.
  2. Identify Residence Permit Type: Determine the appropriate residence permit category based on your work situation.
  3. Apply Online: Submit your application through the UDI (Norwegian Directorate of Immigration) website
  4. Supporting Documents: Gather necessary documents like your passport, employment contract, proof of qualifications, and financial statements.
  5. Biometrics: You may need to provide fingerprints and a photograph at a designated application center.
  6. Visa Fee: Pay the application fee (around NOK 6,300).
  7. Processing Time: Expect a waiting period of several months for your application to be processed.

Additional Resources

For comprehensive details and updates, refer to the official UDI website’s sections on work immigration and residence permits: