UK Health and Care Worker Visa 2023 (Explained)

The UK Health and Care Worker Visa 2023 is a visa that allows qualified doctors, nurses, health professionals, and adult social care professionals to come to or stay in the UK to work in the health and social care sector. The visa is part of the UK Skilled Worker visa route.

The Health and Care Worker visa is valid for up to 5 years. You can extend your visa if you still have a job offer from a UK employer that has been approved by the Home Office.

Salary of Health and Care Worker

The minimum salary requirement for a Health and Care Worker visa is:

  • £20,480 per year for most roles.
  • £25,600 per year for roles that require a Master’s degree or equivalent.

Eligible Roles and 4 Digit Code for Health and Care Worker Visa

  • 1181: health services and public health managers and directors
  • 1242: residential, day, and domiciliary care managers and proprietors
  • 2112: biological scientists and biochemists
  • 2113: physical scientists
  • 2211: medical practitioners
  • 2212: psychologists
  • 2213: pharmacists
  • 2214: ophthalmic opticians
  • 2215: dental practitioners
  • 2217: medical radiographers
  • 2218: podiatrists
  • 2219: health professionals that are ‘not elsewhere classified, such as audiologists and occupational health advisers
  • 2221: physiotherapists
  • 2222: occupational therapists
  • 2223: speech and language therapists
  • 2229: therapy professionals that are ‘not elsewhere classified, such as osteopaths and psychotherapists
  • 2231: nurses
  • 2232: midwives
  • 2442: social workers
  • 3111: laboratory technicians
  • 3213: paramedics
  • 3216: dispensing opticians
  • 3217: pharmaceutical technicians
  • 3218: medical and dental technicians
  • 3219: health associate professionals not elsewhere classified
  • 6141: nursing auxiliaries and assistants
  • 6143: dental nurses
  • 6145: care workers and home carers
  • 6146: senior care workers

Eligibility Criteria

To qualify for a Health and Care Worker visa, you must:

  • Be a qualified doctor, nurse, health professional, or adult social care professional.
  • Work in an eligible health or social care job.
  • Work for a UK employer that has been approved by the Home Office.
  • Have a ‘certificate of sponsorship’ from your employer with information about the role you’ve been offered in the UK.
  • Be paid a minimum salary – how much depends on the type of work you do.

Visa costs

  • up to 3 years: £247 per person
  • more than 3 years: £479 per person


Here are some additional resources that you may find helpful:

Health and Care Jobs in UK

View the list of approved UK employers. Look for the “Health” Keyword.

Related Posts: